Friends and mental health

You know when it comes to friends, I’ve been blessed with a few but the best ones, hands down. But one thing I’ve been observing from a long time is some of these friend’s behaviour, rather ignorance to my mental health. My close “friends” know I have anxiety issues. Yet, they fail to acknowledge this. I mean we’re sure a cool generation who know so much yet we’re INHUMAN!

My best of friends invalidate my feelings and brush off my anxiety by saying me those repeated lines - tera to hamesha ka hai, itna tension kyu leti hai ? har chiz ka stress mat le yar, anxiety vanxiety kuch nahi hota tu sochti bohot hai, itna panic mat ho, itna overthink kyu karti hai tu yar? I can go on.

I want to scream & tell these people that it’s not okay! Invalidating someone’s feelings is not okay! Calling someone’s mental illness just sadness and a mere exaggeration is not okay!

Anxiety is overwhelming. It feels like a constant heaviness in your mind, like something isn't quite right, although oftentimes you don't know exactly what that something is. It's like a tight knot that you can't untwist.
Anxiety feels like your mind is on fire, overthinking & over analysing every little, irrelevant thing. Sometimes, it makes you feel restless and constantly distracted. It feels as if your thoughts are running wild in a million different directions, bumping into each other along the way. Other times, it makes you feel detached, as if your mind has gone blank and you are no longer mentally present. You dissociate and feel as if you have left your own body. Anxiety feels like there is a voice in the back of your mind telling you that everything is not okay, when everything in fact is. Sometimes the voice tells you that there is something wrong with you and that you are different from everybody else. It tells you that your feelings are bad and a burden to the world and that you should isolate. It makes everyday tasks, such as making simple decisions, incredibly difficult.

Anxiety can keep you up at night - tossing and turning. Your body feels exhausted, but your mind feels wide awake and racing. You go through the events of your day, analysing over every specific detail.

Anxiety takes a person away from the present into fretting about the past or worrying about the future - both of which are out of one's control, thus alleviating anxiety further. Yes, I have anxiety issues for the longest time I remember. And I’m working on it in all my capacity, be it medications, therapies, affirmations or various mind healing techniques, I’ve been doing it all. Yet I have these episodes of anxiety flashing back in my life from time to time. Yes, my life has been difficult phase after phase and yes I’m vocal about it.

The least I expect my so called “friends” is to just be there and listen to me. Nobody asked you to become my doctor. I understand it may be daunting and confusing to deal with someone with a mental illness, but you always have a choice to walk away, right? Why mock and invalidate someone’s feelings? You’re only adding to their anxiety. Yes, mental illnesses are also like any other type of illness, is it too difficult to understand and show some kindness? Is this generation going to raise some bunch of fools that lack empathy and compassion?

I wish people were more kind and considerate and would show respect towards everyone. If you can’t help someone heal past their issues and trauma, do them a favour by leaving them alone. Seriously!

Bdw, I respectfully don’t care and I’m literally going to cut these friends off. I have enough problems to deal with in life 😅

Source: Pinterest


Comments