My journey to Unlearn

The literal definition of unlearning is to discard something from one's memory.
I am working on myself for sometime now and I agree with the above lines totally.
There are so many toxic behaviors and patterns which we adapt as a coping mechanism to abuse - some taught to us, some told to us, some observed by us, it can be anything.
The approval, validation, acceptance, protection and love when not received from outer sources after we've been exposed to abuse leaves us in a very vulnerable and 'fight or flight' mode.

We are often so consumed in our pain, in the trauma during the abuse that we rarely are able to judge between good/bad habits, healthy/unhealthy habits, toxic/non toxic habits.

For me these are the biggest challenges I am trying to unlearn.
The list of such abusive behaviors and habits that I acquired for survival is maybe too long to be written down but atleast I'm happy that I'm becoming aware of these.
Unless we accept where we are, we can never take the next step. Atleast I now tend to recognize the fears, the behavior patterns I owe.

It's been a tough journey but it's definitely worth it.
.
.
I'm still on my journey to 'Unlearn' :)
.
.
📸: Pinterest

Comments